THE ASIAN FEDERATION OF
MEDITERRANEAN STUDIES INSTITUTES (AFOMEDI)
The founding members agreed to and initialed a draft Constitution at AFOMEDI’s Inaugural Meeting in 2016. This draft has been reviewed and is now presented for its re-consideration by the member institutes.
Article 1. GENERAL
The Federation is named as the “Asian Federation of Mediterranean Studies Institutes (AFOMEDI)”.
Article 2. OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
The objectives and purposes of the federation are to
1. promote international assistance, fellowship, and cooperation among the members in pursuit of their individual objectives;
2. encourage the exchange of information and knowledge and to promote Mediterranean studies in general on political science, social science, archaeology, economics, linguistics, literature, religion, history, technology, culture, and so forth;
3. develop and strengthen relationships with related institutions;
4. seek common interest on Mediterranean affairs;
5. promote and assist the formation of regional associations in countries where no association for Mediterranean studies exists.
Article 3. MEMBERSHIP
1. The Federation shall consist of
a. Persons and bodies representing different countries or regions
b. Honorary members (past presidents)
2. Founding members of the Federation shall be the following signatories of the Constitution of the Federation, adopted on March 24, 2016 at the Inaugural Meeting held in Busan, Korea: Institute for Mediterranean Studies (IMS), Center for Islamic Area Studies (KIAS), The Mediterranean Seminar, Mediterranean Civilisations Research Institute (MCRI), and The Korean Institute of The Middle East and Africa (KIMA).
Article 4. ENTRY AND RETIREMENT OF MEMBERS
Membership in the Federation shall be obtained, and terminated, as follows:
1. If any new person or body suitable to the membership requirement of Article 3 participates in the Federation, membership is obtained if the Council votes unanimously to designate that person or body as a member.
2. If any member ceases to exist, or changes its composition or constitution to no longer conform to the membership requirement of Article 3, the Council shall fix the date when exclusion from membership shall become effective.
Article 5. MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL
1. The Federation’s management and control shall be vested in the Council, which may by vote do all things necessary to attain the objectives and purposes of the Federation set out in Article 2.
2. The Council shall have power to appoint officers, on such terms and for such periods as it deems expedient.
Article 6. COUNCIL
1. The Council shall consist of representative(s) from member institutes from each country or region.
2. The Council shall normally meet once per year or such other times and intervals as it may from time to time decide. The Secretary General, after consultation with the member institutes, shall fix the agenda for such meetings.
Article 7. OFFICERS
1. The Council shall, by consensus, appoint officers from among its members, in such a manner that each member shall normally hold the Presidency of the Federation in turn. The Council shall appoint a President having voting rights and shall also appoint one President Elect, each belonging to one of the other associations or organizations having voting rights.
2. The President Elect will carry out the presidential duties if circumstances require.
3. The term of office for President shall be two years. And the term of office for President Elect shall be two years.
Article 8. SECRETARIAT
1. The President shall appoint the Secretary General.
2. The Secretary General shall be entrusted with the execution of decisions of the Council and with the management of the secretariat.
3. A secretary-general may appoint administrative officers in making practical arrangements.
Article 9. FINANCE
1. The Council shall fix annually the budget.
2. Each host institution shall be responsible for funding the conference and may assess the participation fee to offset cost.
3. The Secretary General of the Federation shall be the custodian of any money paid to the Federation under this Article
Article 10. ACTIVITIES
1. The Federation will hold a regular conference every two years. The member institutes shall take turns in hosting regular conferences although conferences beyond this vista is not out of scope.
2. The official publication of AFOMEDI shall be Mediterranean Review (MR). One representative of each member institution will be appointed as the member of the journal’s Editorial Board.
3. The Federation shall facilitate other activities to promote exchanges and contacts among its members i.e., participating in the academic events of each other’s institutes and organizations such as conferences, colloquiums and seminars.
Article 10. AMENDMENTS
This Constitution may be amended at any regular or special meeting of the Council, upon recommendations of Officers by a two-third vote of those present in said Council, provided that notice of such proposed amendment/s shall have been furnished to the members of the Federation at least one month before the Council meeting.
Article 11. OFFICIAL LANGUAGE
The official language of the Federation shall be English.
Article 12. DATE EFFECTIVE
This Constitution shall become effective immediately upon approval thereof by the founding members of the Federation in their Inaugural Council Meeting held on 22 July 2016 at Kyoto University.
DECLARATION ON THE FORMATION OF
THE ASIAN FEDERATION OF
MEDITERRANEAN STUDIES INSTITUTES (AFOMEDI)
1. to promote international assistance, fellowship, cooperation among the members in pursuit of their individual objectives,
2. to encourage the exchange of information and knowledge and to promote the Mediterranean studies in general on political science, social science, archaeology, economics, linguistics, literature, religion, history, technology, and culture, etc.,
3. to develop and strengthen relations with related institutions,
4. to seek common interest on the matters of Mediterranean affairs,
5. to promote and assist the formation of regional associations federations in areas where none exist.
FOUNDING MEMBERS ORGANIZATIONS
Choon-Sik Choi (President of AFOMEDI)
Murat Arslan (Mediterranean Civilisations Research Institute, Akdeniz University.)
Enrico Fardella (Center for Mediterranean Area Studies, Peking University.)
Byoung Joo Hah (The Korean Institute of The Middle East and Africa, Inc.)
Yuen Gen Liang (The Mediterranean Seminar, National Taiwan University.)
Yasushi Tonaga (Center for Islamic Area Studies, Kyoto University.)
Yong Soo Yoon (Institute for Mediterranean Studies, Busan University of Foreign Studies.)
Date: 22 July 2016